We're still in the midst of celebrating Turmeric this month and we found some recipe inspiration from Bon Appetit to help keep the theme going on Pi Day! Here's our version of Turmeric Coconut Cream pie.
Ingredients - Crust and Topping
1¼ unsweetened coconut flakes
1 C Bola Granola GF
1 tablespoon African Bronze Honey
1 large egg white
A pinch of kosher salt
¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon African Bronze Honey
¼ teaspoon fresh ground turmeric
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Process coconut flakes, granola, and honey in a food processor until very finely chopped, about 2 minutes.
3. Add egg white and salt and pulse until dough begins to form a ball.
4. Using damp fingers, press dough into bottom and 1" up sides of a 9" pie pan; smooth with a flat-bottomed measuring cup.
5. Bake until evenly browned and toasty-smelling, 20–25 minutes. Let cool.
6. Meanwhile, toss coconut flakes, honey, and turmeric on a small rimmed baking sheet until coated. You may want to wear gloves here as the turmeric WILL stain your fingers a vibrant neon yellow.
7. Bake coconut topping until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
Ingredients - Filling
1, 15 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 5.5 oz can coconut cream
16 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
2 3-inch cinnamon sticks, lightly crushed
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
A large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1½ teaspoons plus ½ teaspoon ground turmeric, divided
4 large egg yolks
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup plus 1 teaspoon African Bronze Honey, divided
3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
1. Bring coconut milk and cream, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, ginger, pepper, and 1½ tsp. turmeric to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover, and let infuse 20 minutes.
2. Combine egg yolks, cornstarch, salt, and ½ cup honey in a large bowl. Whisk until very smooth.
3. Stir together remaining ½ tsp. turmeric and 1 tsp. honey in a small bowl; set aside.
4. Whisking constantly, strain infused coconut milk through a fine-mesh sieve into egg yolk mixture; discard solids. Return custard to saucepan. Heat over medium and cook, whisking constantly, until custard is thick and bubbling, 3–4 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and, working quickly, add coconut oil and stir until smooth
6. Immediately pour the custard into crust, filling as high as the crust allows without spilling over.
7. Drizzle honey-turmeric syrup over and swirl decoratively by dragging the handle of a small spoon or chopstick through filling several times.
8. Cool until set, at least 2 hours. Top with coconut flake mixture before serving.