The fresh, sweet snap of apples paired with crunchy hazelnuts, tangy cranberries and the firm chew of kale are all brought together with a bright, zingy Fire Cider vinaigrette. This is a wonderful fall side dish or simple supper that really takes advantage of some of the best, fresh products of the season.
IngredientsMakes (8–10 servings):
- 1/4 C Fire Cider Honey-Free
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs finely chopped shallot (about 1 medium)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 C extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Whisk Fire Cider, mustard, shallot, and garlic in a medium bowl, then whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This can be made up to a week in advance and stored in the fridge.
- 2/3 C dry-roasted hazelnuts, halved or slightly chopped
- 1 lb kale (about 2 small bunches), stemmed, thinly sliced
- 1 crisp apple, such as Pink Lady or Honeycrisp, cored and sliced or cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- Place kale in a large mixing bowl. Add about 3/4 of the dressing, and use your hands to massage into greens. Taste and add more dressing as needed.
- Add hazelnuts and cranberries; toss together to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and top with apple.