With our recent restock of African Bronze Honey, Amy decided to whip up her favorite, gluten free, low-glycemic Cheesecake recipe. This is a fantastic dessert to take to that potluck graduation party or summer picnic! Personally, I'm in love with the pecan crust.
For the crust-
1/2 cup butter
2 cups pecans
1/2 tablespoon of African Bronze Honey
For the filling-
5 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup African Bronze Honey plus stevia to desired sweetness for low sugar option or use up to 2/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon or more lemon zest
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (3 8oz packages)
For the topping-
1 pint sour cream
2 tablespoon African Bronze Honey
1. First, let your cream cheese sit out until it's soft and at room temperature.
2. Prep a 10-inch spring-form pan by lining the bottom with parchment paper and buttering the sides and seam around the bottom edge. The spring-form pan is important, I have baked this cake in a glass pie dish and it came out all right but the texture was not the same fluffy yet creamy deliciousness that you get from baking in a metal spring-form pan.
3. Preheat your oven to 350
4. Make the crust by pulsing the pecans in a food processor until most are in small bits, then add the butter, in small chunks, and the honey. Pulse a few more times until it forms a crumbly, sticky, mixture. Press evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan.
5. In a separate bowl whip the cream cheese, vanilla, lemon zest, honey (and stevia if using) into a soft, creamy mixture.
6. Whip the egg whites in a clean metal bowl with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. - Gently fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture. This step will take 5-7 minutes and it will initially look like you are giving the cream cheese mixture a bubble bath in the foamy egg whites. Do not worry, with a few minutes of gentle, continuous folding the mixture will start to come together.
7. Pour the filling on top of your crust and bake for 30 minutes until set.
8. Remove from the oven and turn the heat up to 450.
9. Mix the sour cream with the tablespoon of honey and pour evenly over the top of your baked cheesecake. Pop it back in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
10 Serve at room temperature - don't worry about refrigerating the leftovers, there won't be any!