It simultaneously feels like summer dragged on forever, and like it flew past us in the blink of an eye. Either way, September is here, and we are ready to embrace Fall! We're in the Berkshire mountains of Massachusetts, and we're quickly heading into what we call "leaf-peeping season". We usually get lots of visitors from out of the area to see the gorgeous mountains change color, and towns all across the county come alive with Fall festivals, fairs, and events of all kinds.
Unfortunately, towns are having to re-think these events this year because of Covid-19 restrictions. If your town or county has events like these each year, we encourage you to check them out online and see if they are hosting these events virtually, or finding other ways to support the local businesses and crafters that frequent these events.
We compiled a list of some of our favorite local events and the ways that they're adjusting to the current situation.
- Harvest Craft Fair in Albany, NY - With all possible safety precautions, the annual Harvest Craft Fair in Albany, NY will still be happening at the Shaker Heritage Society September 12-13.
- Downtown Pittsfield Farmers Market - Our favorite downtown farmers market has created an online shopping experience in response to the pandemic, and more local farmers and crafters have been able to offer their products! We love supporting these local folks while getting affordable and fresh items.
- Snow Farm in Williamsburg, MA - The Snow Farm has a longstanding tradition of Friday night auctions, and they've now moved these to a virtual format! Each auction begins at 4pm on Friday, and ends the next Thursday night at midnight. This auction helps support Snow Farm during these hard times.
- Hilltown 6 Pottery Tour - Each year, the Hilltown 6, a group of nationally recognized potters based on the hilltowns of Western Massachusetts, open their studios for a coordinated tour to see their work. This event is moving to a virtual format this year, and virtual or in-person appointments can be made with individual potters to get a closer look!
- Berkshire Paint & Sip in Pittsfield, MA - Even local entertainment businesses are finding ways to adapt! Berkshire Paint & Sip is offering virtual painting parties with live video instruction so you can still do something fun with friends and family, and they're also offering complete paint kits that come with all necessary supplies, and video instruction, to help you create something beautiful at home!
- Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA - Because the normal Summer Series season couldn't go on as usual, a "Pop-up Drive-in" summer series has taken its place! A variety of films will be shown throughout the season, so it's an affordable way to get out of your house for some safely distanced fun!
Be sure to find ways to support your favorite local events, farmers, and crafters, and let us know of any virtual events you'll be attending this year in the comments!
Image via @taylorjoachim